Friday, November 16, 2012

Ignorance vs discrimination against the Muslim faith

It's Friday, so that's a good thing. But I can't go on today without sharing what happened to my sister yesterday. So is this just ignorance or just plain ole discrimination? My sister is a practicing Muslim woman. Now with that being said, I’m not sure if that’s the correct terminology (to say she’s practicing) as she’s been that way for a couple of years now. But before I get side tracked with that she went to renew her license yesterday at the dreaded DMV and was told to remove her khimar (scarf). She refused to do so but they insisted and somewhere along the lines there was confusion as to why she couldn’t take her picture with it on. The woman told her “they don’t do that here anymore”. What DON'T they do? And why was that even mentioned? She asked to speak with a supervisor and they also refused her saying she had to move the scarf off of her hairline and show some hair. She also iterated what the previous representative said by telling her to take it off then put it back on. Now my sister is no fair weather Muslim- meaning she wears the scarf at ALL times and doesn’t just take it off when she feels she doesn’t want to wear it in public. She's always garbed up or totally covered (clothing wise) and hides behind the front door to open it if she’s not presentable (head wrapped, etc)- so why would she even do such a thing in PUBLIC and take off her scarf. The supervisor then asked her if she wore it for religious reasons. How dumb is that to ask this question to someone who obviously looks like a Muslim woman. The scarf isn’t just wrapped around her head like Jill Scott’s was in her “Getting in the Way” video or whatever video she wore a scarf twisted in the back. It’s very unfortunate for my sister that I wasn’t there b/c had I been they would’ve heard it all and we would’ve been on the news that night! I would’ve made a scene for sure. She’s more timid and doesn’t invite confrontation into her life but I’m the very opposite of that and if something needs to be said, I’m the one you go to to have it said. I told her she needs to contact the news station and have NBC 10 Investigators come out there and investigate this b/c it was very much discrimination. I on the other hand am not Muslim and I feel bad for my sister and never want her to be ashamed of her faith b/c she’s a Muslim woman. I try to assist her in defending it but people these days are just plain ole stupid, ignorant and just don’t know. They make me want to shake the stupidity out of them. My guess is they just set themselves up for a pretty lawsuit. Please, if you’d like to comment on this, let me know your thoughts about this issue. 




Traditional head wrap
vs 
Non traditional Muslim head wrap




People, please wake up! 
As always, your resident sewaholic,
Sincere Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment